Chatrapati Shivaji Terminus
Chatrapati Shivaji TerminusDescription :
On 16th April 1853, the Great Indian Peninsula Railway operated the historic first passenger train in India from Bori Bunder to Thane covering a distance of 34 km, formally heralding the birth of the Indian Railways. The station was eventually rebuilt and was named "Victoria Terminus" in honour of the Queen and Empress Victoria; it was opened on the date of her Golden Jubilee in 1887.
Flora FountainDescription :
This magnificient fountain of Portland stone and white oil paint is located in South Mumbai. It was built by the then Agri-Horticultural society of Western India in 1864 and has a beautiful statue of the Roman Goddess Flora as its edifice. It is an important landmark of Mumbai city and a World Heritage building. In 1960, the area was renamed as Hutatma Chowk in memory of the members of Samyukta Maharashtra Samiti, who lost their lives while fighting for a separate Maharashtra state from Government of India.
Elephanta CavesDescription :
A UNESCO World Heritage site, the Elephanta Caves are a network of sculpted caves located on Elephanta Island or Gharapuri (literally "the city of caves") in Mumbai Harbour, 10 kilometres to the east of the city of Mumbai. Hewn out of solid rock, the caves date back to 600 AD. The caves have a collection of shrines, courtyards, inner cells, grand halls and porticos arranged in the splendid symmetry of Indian rock-cut architecture, and filled with exquisite stone sculptures of Hindu Gods and Goddesses.
Rajabai Clock Tower
Rajabai Clock TowerDescription :
The Rajabai Clock Tower is in South Mumbai located in the confines of the Fort campus of the University of Mumbai. The tower was built in a fusion of Venetial and Gothic styles. It is built out of the locally available buff coloured Kurla stone. The tower has one of the best stained glass windows in the city. The tower stands at a height of 85 m (280 ft). During its time, it was the tallest structure in the city of Mumbai.
Khotachiwadi is a heritage village in Girgaum, Mumbai. It is a 200 year old colony that once nestled amid coconut groves. It had row upon row of beautiful villas whose white verandahs and open halls were offset by red Mangalore tile roofs. The houses generally conform to the old-Portuguese style architecture.
Crawford MarketDescription :
Named after Arthur Crawford, the first Municipal Commissioner of Bombay, the building was completed in 1869 and was donated to the city by Cowasji Jehangir. In 1882, it became the first building in India to be lit by electricity.
Gateway of India
Gateway of IndiaDescription :
Gateway of India is located on the waterfront in the Apollo Bunder area, South Mumbai and overlooks the Arabian Sea. It was a crude jetty used by the fishing community which was later renovated and used as a landing place for British governors and other prominent people.
Hanging GardensDescription :
The Hanging Gardens of Mumbai, also known as Pherozeshah Mehta Gardens, are terraced gardens perched at the top of Malabar Hill, on its western side, just opposite the Kamala Nehru Park. They provide sunset views over the Arabian Sea and feature numerous hedges carved into the shapes of animals.
Haji Ali Dargah
Haji Ali DargahDescription :
The Dargah Shariff is built on a tiny islet located 500 meters from the coast, in the middle of Worli Bay and the islet is linked to the city precinct of Mahalakshmi by a narrow causeway, which is nearly a kilometer long. The tomb within the mosque is covered by a brocaded red and green chaddar (tomb cover sheet). It is supported by an exquisite silver frame, supported by marble pillars. The main hall has marble pillars embellished with artful mirror work: blue, green, yellow chips of glass arranged in kaleidoscopic patterns interspersed with Arabic patterns which spell the ninety-nine names of Allah.
Girgaum ChowpattyDescription :
It is one of the most famous public beaches adjoining Marine Drive in the Girgaum area of Mumbai. The beach is famous for Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations when hundreds of people from all over Mumbai come to immerse the idols of Lord Ganapati in the Arabian Sea. One can find several bhelpuri, panipuri, ragda patties and pav bhaji vendors on the beach.
The David Sassoon Library and Reading Room
The David Sassoon Library and Reading RoomDescription :
In 1863, David Sassoon the famous Baghdadi Jewish philanthropist and a leading banker of Mumbai donated generously for a building for Mechanic's Institute which was to house a museum and library for mechanical models and architectural design. In 1870, the Venetian Gothic structure of yellow Malad stone was completed in the Fort Area in an old business district of Mumbai. Later this building was turned into David Sassoon Library and Reading Room. It is one of the oldest libraries of Mumbai and has many rare and old books in its collection of 40,0000 books. Timings: 8:00 am to 9:00 pm Fees: Rs. 3300/Year or Rs. 1000 for 45 days for visitors.
Mumbadevi TempleDescription :
The temple is a sacred pilgrimage spot and place of worship for Hindus and is thus visited daily by hundreds of people. The name of the city Bombay (now called Mumbai) is derived from Maa Mumbadevi. Mumbai; of Portuguese words and Bom Bahia, meaning "good harbor".